Halkyn (Welsh: Helygain[heˈləgain]; Flintshire Welsh: Lygian[ˈləgjan]) is a village and community in Flintshire, north-east Wales and situated between Pentre Halkyn, Northop and Rhosesmor. he 2011 Census. Pentre Halkyn is in the community.
Halkyn is one of the ancient parishes of Flintshire, originally comprising the townships of Hendrefigillt, Lygan y Llan and Lygan y Wern. The area was notable during the Roman occupation for the mining of lead. The village was recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Alchene, when it was then part of Cheshire, in England.
The richer side of the Lloyd family came originally from Halkyn where they farmed in Hendrefiggillt for almost a century. Many letters between Edward Lloyd (of Haford) and his brothers in Livorno spoke about Hendrefiggilit. It is clear lead mining was one of the key starting points for their fortunes which then spread to plantations in Haiti and Jamaica.
Halkyn had many public houses in the early 19th century. These public houses included the Crown Inn, (now known as Crown Cottages) which was situated on the left-hand side as you go towards Rhes-y-cae from the Old Halkyn Post Office. The Royal Oak (now a private house known as the Old Royal Oak), directly opposite the Blue Bell down a lane going towards Pen-y-parc Farm. Also the Raven (now known as Raven Cottage) in the Catch; and the Blue Bell Inn, which is still operating. There were also a few shops: a butcher, a post office (originally run from Holly House then from over the road; now closed), the Crown Inn (a shop until 1892, when it was licensed as a beerhouse) and the former Scranton Stores, which occupied Scranton House, now a private house called Swn-y-mynydd.