Hafod is welsh word that refers to the place where people move at the end of summer, after harvest. There are many instances of Hafod in Wales including a district in Swansea but our Hafod is an area north of Gwernymyndd, a mile or so up Haford Road.
Today Plas Haford has been renamed as Harrison’s Hall after the lady who owns and runs it but until two years ago it was run as Plas Haford Hotel. Prior to becoming a hotel the mansion was the home of Edward Lloyd and his family from 1840 until 1910 when he sold it and moved to another nearby smaller house – Plas Bellis. The estate can be seen on OS maps of the area from 1840 onwards and consisted of a large house with over 300 acres of landscaped property around it. Part of the property was donated in 1907 to the Mold Golf club for their first golf course and the then Lloyd – Colonel Edward Lloyd was the club’s president for more than 10 years.
Plas Haford was built using the income from the Lloyd family’s extensive business interests in the Caribbean (Haiti and Jamaica) and in Europe (including Livorno in Italy).