Before 1912 Pollokshaws was a burgh in its own right. In 1912 the burgh was annexed by Glasgow City Council to become part of Greater Glasgow. One consequence of this change was that names that already existed in Glasgow couldbnt be allowed in the new Pollokshaws part of Glasgow and a new name had to be found for duplicate streets. Note this also happened in other Annexes eg the Gorbals.
One street important for the Kilkie family is King Street in Numbers 32 (John and Esther Kilkie), 72 (Edward Kilkie) and 115 (David Kilkie). This street was renamed Shawbridge Street in 1912 after the Shaw bridge that crossed the river here. The old tenements that the Kilkie family lived in were pulled down in the 1930s and no pictures survive from this time, however Kilkies lived in Shawbridge Street until 1960s and thus the following photos are relevant.
This photo shows Pollocks Dairy and the car is a 1952 model
The Glen Cafe that can be seen was well used by local children.
The car is outside the local Doctor's surgery and in between the surgery and the newsagent is a famous glasgow "Close"
Junction of Shawbridge Street and Harriet Street.