Penilee is a housing scheme on the south side of the city of Glasgow. Penilee became part of Glasgow as part of the boundary expansion in 1938. Until then it was mainly farmland between Hillington and Cardonald areas of the city and was part of Renfrewshire.
The current Penilee housing scheme was all built during the second world war to be housing for the many workers in Rolls Royce and other armaments factories in neighbouring Hillington estate. During the war most housing development was stopped but the building of the houses in Penilee continued to provide the very necessary accomodation near to the factories building aircraft engines and munitions.
The architecture and design of the houses is unusual as they were built quickly and in industrial quantities and methods. The houses were all prefabricated, built out of concrete slabs, with concrete floors, stairs and flat roof. As with many of the original residents the Kilkie connection was due to Jack Kilkie being a workers in Rolls Royce. Other Kilkie family members followed Jack to the area as it was considerably nicer than Govan - In fact it was Uncle Jack who supported the application of Jimmy Kilkie with the "Corporation" to get them rehoused in Kelhead Avenue, just around from his house in Bowfield Place.
In the early 1970s the area was modernised and the houses were all improved by adding new windows and pitched roofs. Whilst the work was being done families were "decanted to neighbouring areas, in many cases this meant a move for up to 3 years. Jimmy Kilkie's family was decanted to Kinross Avenue in Cardonald for 3 years whilst Kelhead Avenue was being updated.